Late summer or early autumn is a great time for core aeration and overseeding, in central New Jersey, to heal cool-season lawns that have been damaged by summer drought, diseases, lawn damaging insects or foot traffic.
Aeration is the process of making holes throughout your lawn by pulling small soil plugs called “cores” with a special machine called a core aerator. By doing this, it allows more oxygen, water, and nutrients to penetrate deep into the soil and down to the root zone. That’s important because it creates a more favorable environment for the root system to grow and healthier roots add up to a healthier lawn.
Benefits of Core Aeration and Overseeding:
- Aeration reduces soil compaction. Think about trying to plant a flower in concret. The flower probably won’t do too well. Just like the concrete and flower, a rock hard soil bed is not conducive to a great lawn either! Loose soil allows grass roots to plunge deeper into the soil to find vital water resources in times of stress.
- Aeration reduces thatch. Thatch is made up of grass stems and roots that accumulate faster than they breakdown. Excessive thatch creates an environment that is favorable to pests and disease.
- Aeration allows access to the root zone. By penetrating the soil, you’re allowing moisture, air, & food to the root zone where nutrients are absorbed.
- Aeration enhances seed germination. Seeds germinate easily in aerator holes as the holes provide them a place to hide.
- Overseeding introduces new grass seed to fill in bare or thin areas as well as thickening existing turf. Over time, grass plants reach their peak and need to be replaced. Different factors contribute to the breakdown of the grass including foot traffic, heat, lack of water, environmental conditions, pet waste, etc.
- Overseeding builds resistance to disease. By incorporating different blends of grass seed (Dowco uses a seed blend consisting of at least 6 types of turf type tall fescue) you reduce your risk to diseases that can wipe out the entire lawn.
- Aeration and overseeding will help to reduce weeds. Opportunistic weeds germinate in areas where they can be successful. Crabgrass grows in thin areas, nutsedge pops up in thin/low spots, and broadleaf weeds spread where there is little desirable grass. The best defense is to have a thick lawn.
- Aeration and overseeding will immediately improve your lawn’s current appearance. If your lawn was attacked by fungus, insects, or animals this year a core aeration and overseeding will help. You’ll be able to see seed germination in a couple days.
If you aren’t certain if fall aeration and overseeding is something you can do, or if it’s something you don’t want to tackle on your own choose a trustworthy and professional lawn aerating and seeding service in Pennington, Hopewell, or Princeton, NJ that is going to give you the desired results by using top-of-the-line equipment and high-quality grass seed.
Restoring a browned out, beat-up lawn was certainly a challenge, but you can get the lawn of your dreams if you choose the right method and find the right lawn care service.
If you’d like us to help restore life to your thinned out lawn, we’re up for that challenge. We truly do believe that aeration and overseeding are two of the most important things you can do for your lawn’s health and we always recommend them as part of a successful lawn care program. Contact us for a consultation!